After 16 years on Banyule Council representing the community of Griffin Ward, serving two terms as mayor and four terms as deputy mayor I have no regrets.
In this election I was the winner on primary votes, but I was unable to withstand the ‘dirt machine’ that ran against me. I wish to thank my family and many Griffin Ward friends and supporters who again supported me with letter boxing and standing out on wet and rainy booths on election day.
I commenced my first term as a Councillor in 2000 and I’ve cherished the opportunity to make a difference in our area. Some of my favourites have been:
- under-grounding power lines in the Ivanhoe Shopping Strip back in my early days on Council (those who are long time residents will remember)
- introduction of a green waste bin for all households
- saving Napier Waller House in Fairy Hills.
- protecting the Town Hall from ever being demolished
- funding the Nets basketball stadium for female sport
- protecting the Banyule Homestead from subdivision
- Possum Hollow Park – from inception, to funding, to construction
- funding Banyule Summer Movies
- funding Ivanhoe Aquatic upgrades
- funding the Greensborough project which has saved ratepayers millions in the long term and centralised staff while still improving services in Griffin Ward
- funding energy efficient street lights all the way through Banyule, saving ratepayers money in the long term and moving Banyule towards being a carbon neutral City.
- funding the Chelsworth storm water harvesting system saving mega-litres of water per year
- getting our 40km/hr zones in Ivanhoe, East Ivanhoe & Heidelberg Shopping Strips
- getting the Burke Road North pedestrian lights installed after 40 years.
- setting up the Rosanna Road Community Advocacy Committee
- development of the Banyule Integrated Transport Plan (which lists North East Link as number 1)
- advocating for the community interest by being Council delegate on many internal and external committees, including being the Library Board chair.
- developing the Ivanhoe Civic Master Plan & Activity Centre plans which will grow Ivanhoe but protect it from over development (VCAT still allowed some through though!)
- being the patron for the Ivanhoe Junior Football Club’s womens’ teams and the Ivanhoe Croquet Club.
- delivering on each promise I have made in previous elections with one of the largest capital works agendas across our region
- being Banyule’s first female charter champion, (a baton I now pass over to Allison as the sole female on the Council.)
- introduction of a free paper/cardboard chute at Banyule’s Waste and Recycling Centre.
I’m looking forward to seeing my projects in development come to fruition including:
- The Ivanhoe Park Redevelopment which supports 41 football and cricket teams
- The Ivanhoe Community & Learning Hub which will provide families and groups with new community space and a brand new library
- Stages 2 & 3 of the Ivanhoe Aquatic upgrades
- Development of the Burgundy Street shopping centre streetscape upgrade.
I promise to remain your community advocate in Banyule to give a voice to you when others won’t listen. I will remain a strong voice for you:
- against over development and protecting our leafy suburbs from the Labor/Greens plan for overdevelopment in these areas.
- for vital infrastructure like the North East Link & East West Link
- supporting local businesses
- supporting community and sporting groups
- advocating for low rates and strong services
Thank you for your support over 16 years.