Banyule Council approved the Draft Ivanhoe Structure Plan at Council meeting held on Monday 17th December 2012.
Three speakers spoke in favour of the decision.
These were: Ms Helen Carr Save Ivanhoe Group, Mr Roger Fyfe and Mr Kevin Biaggini
The motion read:
1. That Council note the detailed responses to submissions on the New Draft Structure Plan.
2. That Council adopt the revised draft structure plan subject to the following inclusions in the Plan:
(a) Of an additional dot point on page 59 under the “Built Environment Objective” for the Ivanhoe Station precinct which may allow for additional height on the Council car park (the triangle site at 109 Waterdale Road), if replacement of existing car parking occurs and there is a contribution for additional car parking in the activity centre at an appropriate location such as the VicTrack/Scout hall land in Norman Avenue and the provision of a pedestrian ramp linking with a pedestrian overpass at this location.
(b) Of a statement that new residential development should be aged friendly residential development to promote access and consider flexibility around car parking requirements in recognition of the fact that some older people may not require a carpark.
(c) That screening heights of more than 1700mm are considered in residential development to ensure that the noise impact and overlooking of neighbouring residential properties is reduced and that balconies and rooftops are greened
3. That Council undertakes further work to achieve approval from the Minister for Planning for permanent controls for the Ivanhoe Major Activity area.
4. That the Mayor, as a matter of urgency, writes to the Minister for Planning requesting interim planning controls in accordance with the adopted Ivanhoe Structure Plan, dated 17 December 2012.
5. That Council acknowledges and thanks all the Ivanhoe Community Consultative Committee members and Council staff, who assisted at the public meetings, and in particular Vincent Ryan, Rachel Dapiran and the MGS consultant Rob McGauran.
Moved: Cr Jenny Mulholland
Seconded: Cr Craig Langdon CARRIED
It is now my intention to continue discussions with the Minister for Planning, The Hon. Matthew Guy MP to achieve interim planning controls and mandatory height limits for the Ivanhoe Structure Plan activity area.
55 Lower Heidelberg Rd East Ivanhoe – Proposed 4 storey development
This development proposal has now gone to VCAT for a decision.
The adoption of the Ivanhoe Structure Plan means that Council officers will be able to present to VCAT a clearer position established through the revised Structure Plan that guides development more clearly around height, set backs and landscaping. In short, its position at VCAT on the 55 Lower Heidelberg Road application will be presented more strongly and take clearer direction from the guidelines in the Structure Plan.
It is understood that this application will be heard by VCAT in March / April 2013.